After obtaining my Masters degree in 2008 from the University of Texas at Austin, I set out for a career in advertising. After only a few years of working in the corporate world, I was very stressed out at my job and I started to develop digestive issues and chronic fatigue. I remember feeling so frustrated wondering if I had to experience this discomfort for the rest of my life! It got to the point where I was afraid to eat food for fear of how my body would react to it.
It wasn’t until I started to see a Holistic Nutritionist and started to detoxify my body when I saw an improvement in my overall health and my symptoms started to slowly disappear. I learned so much about the healing effects of proper nutrition. I remember I was initially so skeptical that a nutritionist would be able to help my situation at all. I never considered that changing my diet and lifestyle would significantly impact me but my symptoms at the time were not improving and I was willing to do anything to feel better- thankfully I did.
Not too long after I started to see my nutritionist I became pregnant with my daughter so I had to put the detoxing on hold and focus on supporting a healthy pregnancy. After only a few months after my daughter was born, I started to experience inflammation in my knees, and chronic fatigue and my doctor told me that I was borderline for hypothyroidism so I went back to see my nutritionist. I started to see improvement in my health once again. My hormones began to slowly balance out, and my inflammation and chronic fatigue eventually disappeared.
Once maternity leave was up, I went back to work in marketing but I soon realized after returning, that marketing was no longer my passion. I decided to give my notice after only a few months back into the workforce and headed back to school for nutrition and it just so happens I found out I was pregnant again with my son.
After completing my studies in nutrition I founded Melissa Jones Holistic Nutrition in 2015 to offer online nutrition consulting and I could not be happier! Such a dream come true to actually be helping people improve their health!
Health for me is all about getting to the root cause of the issue and learning how to truly nourish your body in a way that is specific to your specific needs to…. For me eating well is not eating a perceivably perfect diet 24/7, but instead, it’s about striving to eat clean about 90% of the time. The remaining 10% is allocated for situations that come up in life when you can’t stick to your typical diet (though there are still foods I avoid at all costs). I am not about counting calories. Instead, I focus on eating whole foods and creating balanced meals. I am passionate about what I do now because I have experienced some low points in my health and I know how frustrating it can be. I love to learn and I love to share my learnings with others. I want to make things simple and easy for you, and help you cut through the clutter of information which I know can be overwhelming. As I now have 2 little ones, I also recognize the importance of quick and healthy meals that the kids can enjoy too. I am here to help show you how you can improve your health and feel great again!