As soon as the fall weather hits I’m craving warming foods like soups and stews. I made a big batch of this squash soup the other day and served some up to my family for dinner with some fresh crusty bread. This is one of my favourite soup recipes. I adapted this recipe from the Soup Sisters Cookbook- their Squash, Pear and Parsnip with Ginger soup. I like adding the cashew cream to add some healthy fats and the addition of hemp seeds for more protein to round out this meal and keep me full and satisfied. This is such nourishing soup recipe, and a great immune booster for the colder months. Butternut squash is an excellent source of Vitamin A which is an antioxidant to protect cell membranes from free radical damage. Vitamin A is also important for healthy skin and tissue repair. It’s also a great source of Vitamin C- another antioxidant, great for immune function. This soup is packed with vitamins and minerals, its anti-inflammatory and super yummy!
- 3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 Leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 Cup of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp of grapeseed oil
- 2 Medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 Cups of low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 Cups of filtered water
- 1 Tsp of Oregano
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp of unpasteurized organic honey
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp of hemp seeds
http://aaronwachsstock.com/about-me Cashew Cream:
- 1 Cup of raw cashews
- 1 1/4 Cup of filtered water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of ground ginger
http://ponogrown.com/ Directions for the Soup:
- Sauté the carrots, parsnips, leek, apples and ginger in the grapeseed oil, in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the leek has softened add the squash, vegetable stock, water and oregano. Bring this to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for approximately 30 mins until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup until smooth and add the orange juice, lemon juice and honey and salt.
- Serve it up and top it off with the cashew cream and hemp seeds.
Directions for the Cashew Cream:
- Soak the cashews in some water in the fridge for 8-12 hour. Rinse them thoroughly.
- Add the cashews, filtered water, lemon juice and spices in a blender and blend until smooth. The finished product should be the consistency of a thick salad dressing, so add a bit more water if you need to.